Savannah College of Art & Design Pepe Hall
location: Savannah, Georgia
The original Barnard Street School of 1854 was used by General Sherman's Army as a military hospital during the Civil War. On this site, a new school was erected in 1906, using the same floor plan employed by Gottfrid L. Norman in the construction of the Anderson Street School. The 20,759 square foot Mediterranean Revival style building has a battered brick basement and a central tapering bell tower above the entrance portico. The building was renovated for Fibers Department which included a large loom studio as well as a dye studio, classrooms and administrative spaces.